Welcome to The Calverton School
Welcome to The Calverton School. This site introduces you to our school community. As this is merely an introduction to us, we hope you will follow up with a campus visit to meet us in person.
We are a college preparatory school located in Huntingtown, Maryland, approximately 45 minutes east of Washington, D.C. and 30 minutes south of Annapolis, MD. We enroll 350+ students in our Preschool through Grade 12, and all of our graduates are accepted into four-year colleges and universities. Our students come from five counties, including Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's, Anne Arundel, and Prince George's. We also have students from Pennsylvania, China, Canada, Korea and more! We offer bus transporation and extended day options as well.
We are accredited by the National Association of Independent Schools, the Association of Independent Maryland Schools, and the Maryland State Department of Education. We are also an authorized IB World School.
The Calverton School is a community of learners, providing a supportive, yet rigorous, environment for students and teachers, and an environment that stresses cooperation, respect, and trust. Our school philosophy and mission guide us. Through a climate of respect, high expectations, and shared experiences, The Calverton School instills in students intellectual curiosity, personal responsibility, and a strong work ethic to prepare them for higher education and responsible citizenship.
Our philosophy is based on four foundations: academics, athletics, arts, and community. Academics is our touchstone, and the students are partners in their education, taking responsibility for their learning. Athletics provides students a physical opportunity to cooperate within a team and to feel the dual aspects of winning and losing. The arts open our students to the appreciation of visual art, music, and drama. Community is the understanding of giving back, helping make the world a better place.
Calverton is a place where a handshake stands for something of value. We offer children an opportunity to explore possibilities, to take risks, and reach beyond their abilities.
WHY CHOOSE THE CALVERTON SCHOOL?
The Calverton School is a top-notch academic, art, athletic, and service community where values and respect are reinforced. The school offers a challenging college-preparatory program in an environment that encourages honesty, tolerance, respect, and responsibility. Small class size and low student/teacher ratios support a student-centered curriculum and individualized attention. Students are prepared not only for college, but to be lifelong learners, responsible members of the community, stewards of the environment, and informed citizens of the world.
- All Calverton graduates are accepted into four-year colleges, and our SAT scores for college entrance consistently exceed the national and local averages by over 200 points.
- With the introduction of the IB curriculum in our Upper School, Calverton students are taking the most rigorous classes available globally.
- Each year our students are recognized as National Merit Scholars and Maryland Distinguished Scholars.
- Calverton Lower School and Middle School students are recognized by Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth for their scores on the SAT.
- An appreciation of the arts is fostered through opportunities in visual and performing arts. Students have been recognized by the International Thespian Society and in numerous art competitions.
- Students celebrate an appreciation for music through chorus and instrumental music, and a strings ensemble. Calverton students are composers and performers and have won recognition at the Maryland State Music Festival.
- Ninety percent of our middle and upper school students participate in athletics in the seven sports offered at the school.
- Calverton holds league championships in cross country, golf, lacrosse, tennis, girls' softball, girls' basketball, and soccer.
- Calverton athletes are consistently recognized to All-League teams, with All-County honors, and as high scorers in the region. Calverton athletes are also recognized at Academic All-Americans.
- Calverton graduates continue on to participate in athletics at Division 1 and Division 3 colleges.
- Teachers at Calverton are passionate, dedicated, and enthusiastic. As facilitators, advisors, advocates, and friends, they share a commitment to instill a quest for excellence in their students. Our teachers offer a wealth of knowledge outside their curricular areas. They are horticulturists, marine biologists, retired military officers, physicists, former Naval Academy and university professors, researchers, business owners, and civic leaders who volunteer their time in rainforests, pediatric AIDS wards, evaluating other schools, coaching, tutoring, and leading organizations.
- Our faculty offers a combined 700+ years of teaching experience and 60% of our faculty hold Master’s degrees or higher
Giving back to the community is instilled in our students from the first day they enter Calverton. Community service hours of our graduates are double the Calvert County requirement. At Calverton, community service is not a requirement - it is an expectation!
Calverton recognizes that each student is unique, and our college counseling program is designed to help the individual student find and gain acceptance into the best school for his or her needs. During the past five years, Calverton graduates have enrolled in many colleges and universities - please visit our College Placements web page to see the wide range of colleges to which our students have either accepted or been offered admission.
Please contact the Office of Admissions to schedule a private tour and learn more about what Calverton has to offer your student!