Welcome From the Head of School
Head of School
Welcome to The Calverton School. This site introduces you to our school community. As this is merely an introduction to us, we hope you will follow up with a campus visit to meet us in person.
We are a college preparatory, day school located in Huntingtown, Maryland, approximately 45 minutes east of Washington, D.C. and 30 minutes south of Annapolis, MD. We enroll 420+ students in our Preschool for Threes through Grade 12, and all of our graduates are accepted into four-year colleges and universities. Our students come from five counties, including Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's, Anne Arundel, and Prince George's. We have bus transportation to stops in each of the five counties. Calverton's Extended Day Program offers an extension of the school day.
We are accredited by the National Association of Independent Schools, the Association of Independent Maryland Schools, and the Maryland State Department of Education.
The Calverton School is a community of learners, providing a supportive, yet rigorous, environment for students and teachers, and an environment that stresses cooperation, respect, and trust. Our school philosophy and mission guide us. Through a climate of respect, high expectations, and shared experiences, The Calverton School instills in students intellectual curiosity, personal responsibility, and a strong work ethic to prepare them for higher education and responsible citizenship.
Our philosophy is based on four foundations: academic, athletic, arts, and community. Academics is our touchstone, and the students are partners in their education, taking responsibility for their learning. Athletics provides students a physical opportunity to cooperate within a team and to feel the dual aspects of winning and losing. The arts open our students to the appreciation of visual art, music, and drama. Community is the understanding of giving back, helping make the world a better place.
Calverton is a place where a handshake stands for something of value. We offer children an opportunity to explore possibilities, to take risks, and reach beyond their abilities.
WHY CHOOSE THE CALVERTON SCHOOL?
The Calverton School is a top-notch academic, art, athletic, and service community where values and respect are reinforced. The school offers a challenging college-preparatory program in an environment that encourages honesty, tolerance, respect, and responsibility. Small class size and low student/teacher ratios support a student-centered curriculum and individualized attention. Students are prepared not only for college, but to be lifelong learners, responsible members of the community, stewards of the environment, and informed citizens of the world.
- All Calverton graduates are accepted into four-year colleges, and our SAT scores for college entrance consistently exceed the national and local averages by over 200 points.
- Approximately 80% of Calverton students take Advanced Placement (AP) classes, with almost 60% of those students being recognized by The College Board as Advanced Placement Scholars, Scholars with Honors, or Scholars with Distinction.
- Each year our students are recognized as National Merit Scholars and Maryland Distinguished Scholars.
- Calverton Middle School students were recognized by Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth for their scores on the SAT.
- Eleven Calverton Middle School students earned cum laude honors or above in the 2005 National Latin Exam, competing with students from around the world.
- A Calverton Middle School student is the 2005 Calvert County Spelling Bee Champion!
- Calverton's Middle School Math Counts team's performance earned them the honor of competing in the State competition.
- An appreciation of the arts is fostered through opportunities in visual and performing arts. Students have been recognized by the International Thespian Society and in numerous art competitions.
- Students celebrate an appreciation for music through chorus and instrumental music, and a strings ensemble. Calverton students are composers and performers and have won recognition at the Maryland State Music Festival.
- Calverton students participated in the Seahorses by the Bay art project celebrating Calvert County's 350th anniversary, and a sixth grade student created a whimsical egg for the Ocean City Beach Birds project.
- Over eighty-seven percent of our middle and upper school students participate in athletics in the seven sports offered at the school.
- Calverton holds league championships in cross country, golf, lacrosse, and soccer.
- Calverton athletes are consistently recognized to All-League teams, with All-County honors, and as high scorers in the region.
- Calverton graduates continue on to participate in athletics at Division 1 and Division 3 colleges.
- Teachers at Calverton are passionate, dedicated, and enthusiastic. As facilitators, advisors, advocates, and friends, they share a commitment to instill a quest for excellence in their students. Our teachers offer a wealth of knowledge outside their curricular areas. They are horticulturists, marine biologists, retired military officers, physicists, former Naval Academy and university professors, researchers, business owners, and civic leaders who volunteer their time in rainforests, pediatric AIDS wards, evaluating other schools, coaching, tutoring, and leading organizations.
- Our faculty offers a combined 700+ years of teaching experience and 60% of our faculty hold Master’s degrees or higher
Giving back to the community is instilled in our students from the first day they enter Calverton. Community service hours of our graduates are double the Calvert County requirement. At Calverton, community service is not a requirement - it is an expectation!
The List Continues…
Calverton students participate in the Maryland State Engineering Challenge and won the Individual Competition this year.
Calverton recognizes that each student is unique, and our college counseling program is designed to help the individual student find and gain acceptance into the best school for his or her needs. During the past five years, Calverton graduates have enrolled in many colleges and universities - please visit our College Placements web page to see the wide range of colleges to which our students have either accepted or been offered admission.